Self-driving, car sharing, advanced navigation, and other automotive technologies are making the boldest futuristic visions real. But even the most forward-thinking technologies may malfunction or break down.
Imagine this: you’re driving along a lonely road in an unfamiliar country as your top-notch navigation system simply fails to respond. You may feel like there’s nothing to do except bang your head against the steering wheel.
But don’t worry. An onboard diagnostics (OBD2) app can save your time, money, and emotional health. It’s time for our list of the best iOS and Android OBD2 apps for automobile diagnostics in 2018.
Intellias, a company with a long history working with automotive software technologies, has prepared this list of the eight best automotive diagnostic apps to help our readers find an auto diagnostics app that will satisfy their most sophisticated demands.
Best OBD2 Apps for Android
Obdeleven is the leader in the OBD2 software market for Android. Its responsiveness, functionality, and versatility lie at the core of the app’s popularity.
- Obdeleven allows users to benefit from a range of features that can substitute an entire backend computer system.
- You don’t need supplementary onboard diagnostics software as Obdeleven checks every trouble code of all control units in an automobile.
- The application is supplied with a multi-lingual and user-friendly interface along with a car battery analyzer.
- The basic edition of Obdeleven is substantially limited, being helpful only in indicating very basic faults.
- The auto diagnostic app is not expensive itself. Still, users have to watch ads or purchase credits to deactivate them.
Carista OBD2 is one of the best Android OBD2 apps and is recognized for its highly effective diagnosis of existing faults and real-time car performance tests.
- Carista OBD2 is the best option for those who want to thoroughly track their car’s performance indicators. For instance, the app allows you to control engine temperature and emissions via advanced use of scanners.
- The vehicle diagnostic app can be used to customize vehicle computer systems. For example, automatic doors can be locked whenever a vehicle starts moving.
- Carista offers advanced smart diagnostics options including for ABS, airbags, navigation systems, and other high-end performance management features.
- Users report numerous connection errors while trying to save changes to the app’s settings.
- Before using Carista OBD2, you must check the app’s compatibility with your adapter. The software may have problems while working with an adapter other than OBD-II.
The HobDrive application, available for both Windows PCs and Android phones, combines the functionality of OBD2 diagnostic software with the functionality of an onboard trip advisor.
- The usability of the app during long trips is undeniable. HobDrive collects and analyzes data on fuel consumption, air intake, and driving modes during each trip.
- HobDrive offers effective and helpful route planning tools.
- If you forget your phone, you can still use HobDrive on other gadgets as it runs on any platform with a .NET framework.
- Many customers complain that HobDrive is unstable. One common bug causes a need to log in every time the app is launched.
- The app’s device connectivity via Bluetooth could use substantial improvements.
Torque Pro app is a leader in the Google Play Store due to its reliability and diverse functionality. If you’re eager to have full control of your vehicle’s horsepower, dynamometer, and emissions, you will definitely enjoy using Torque Pro. It’s surely one of the best car diagnostic apps.
- Torque Pro is often referred to as one of the most effective tools for repairing your car and minimizing maintenance costs.
- This car diagnostic app for Android uses easy-to-understand color schemes to show the car’s condition with a CEL/DTC fault code mobile scanner at the core of the app’s diagnosis algorithm.
- GPS navigation is integrated into the app, so if your car’s navigation system fails you can rely on Torque Pro.
- One of the major factors undermining the mass use of Torque Pro is its price — the app remains too expensive for many drivers.
- High power consumption is another drawback of this auto diagnostic app. If you’d like to use Torque Pro, you’d better not forget your charger at home.
OBD inCar Doctor Pro
OBD inCar Doctor Pro is the best OBD2 app for Android users who want to track real-time data on their vehicle’s functioning.
- The app integrates data on major performance indicators to build real-time charts and graphs.
- A sensor or monitor connected to OBD Car Doctor Pro can precisely track the vehicle’s speed, temperature, angle of rotation, and other indicators.
- OBD Car Doctor Pro is supplied with an effective system of warnings and alarms that are activated whenever potential problems are detected.
- OBD Car Doctor Pro works smoothly with a limited number of wireless adapters. An interrupted connection remains a major complaint of users.
- The app also has poor compatibility with Bluetooth. If you prefer to connect via Bluetooth, you should probably look for alternative software.
Best OBD2 Apps for iOS
EOBD Facile is one of the most popular OBD2 apps among iPhone users who want to track their car’s performance as thoroughly as possible.
- The app enables users of Apple smartphones to check engine fault programming codes in real time to detect potential problems in advance.
- EOBD Facile can record and analyze data during long trips, which is particularly helpful for those curious about vehicle performance. If you’re looking for the best driving style in terms of fuel consumption, you’ll definitely find EOBD Facile helpful.
- EOBD Facile has a user-friendly interface that displays speed, inner air quantity, engine speed, torque, and spark timing.
- The free version of EOBD Facile is rather useless. All the major functions are available only in the pro version, while the free one isn’t enough to obtain an overall impression of the app.
- The application isn’t compatible with all cars. So before installing it, make sure that it can be connected to your vehicle.
OBD Auto Doctor
OBD Auto Doctor has won a reputation as the most balanced OBD2 application for iPhone, combining functionality and user-friendliness.
- The application can send diagnostic reports via email, enabling users to access data at any time or place without needing to launch the app.
- OBD-II indicators supporting Auto Doctor are exceptionally reliable.
- This vehicle diagnostic app can show both metric and imperial units. OBD Auto Doctor users can customize diagnostic specifications.
- The app’s advanced features, including real-time scan and built-in DTC databases, are available only with the pro version, which is expensive.
- OBD Auto Doctor’s poor data transmission and connectivity with Bluetooth is the main source of user complaints.
Engine Link for iOS can be connected to the vehicle using either a Bluetooth connection or adapter-based technology.
- The app is supplied with all features necessary for an effective OBD2 diagnostic system, yet it’s most useful in terms of controlling emission rates and fuel consumption.
- Engine Link is supplied with a heads-up display (HUD) option, which can make your night driving experience similar to spaceship travel.
- You can customize the visual appearance of the dashboard and turn off data you don’t need.
- The app can work smoothly only with a limited number of ELM-compatible devices as well as low-energy adapters. If you don’t have a compatible device, connectivity problems are inevitable.
- In reviews, customers often complain that Engine Link isn’t localized. In other words, Engine Link isn’t likely to run in languages other than English.
Automotive industry stakeholders admit that lack of user trust in automated driving features is the major concern undermining the mass use of advanced driving technologies. Cases of self-driving car failures feed customers’ skepticism over recent developments within the industry. It’s also obvious that building trust between end users and technology is a step-by-step process requiring a lot of time and effort, primarily on the part of automakers and developers.
On-board diagnostics technology can become a means of extending security and building bridges between customers and equipment manufacturers. OBD2 apps not only reinforce drivers’ psychological comfort but are also an effective means of preventing malfunctions and controlling car performance. The choice of the best OBD2 app 2018 depends primarily on the specific needs and requirements of a customer. Some apps, such as HobDrive and EOBD Facile, are best for long trips, while others like Engine Link are best for closely controlling fuel consumption and emissions. Regardless of the app you choose, make sure to check its compatibility with your vehicle and adapter in advance.
Intellias experts know how to customize OBD2 technology to meet the most sophisticated demands. Contact us and benefit from one of the most promising car testing technologies in the automotive sector.