About the client
Since 1992, SEP has been offering enterprise-level backup solutions to governments and businesses around the globe. Their comprehensive multi-modular data availability suite, SEP sesam, protects professional IT environments of any size. Organizations rely on SEP sesam to ensure the continuity and security of their business and IT operations through data backup, disaster recovery, multi-streaming, data replication, deduplication, encryption, and archiving features. SEP helps safeguard data on all operating systems, virtualization platforms, databases, and applications in physical and virtual infrastructures.
The client came with the challenge
Diversification in IT technologies and associated markets over the last decade spurred SEP to fundamentally revise their product portfolio. They needed an all-in-one platform-agnostic client/server solution that would support industry-leading cloud, clustering, mailing, and virtualization technologies. This new product was intended to go beyond the company’s existing German-speaking markets and help SEP enter the multibillion-dollar North American data backup and recovery market.
Lacking sufficient in-house development resources, SEP started looking for a trusted outsourcing partner to scale their engineering capacity. They chose Intellias due to our broad technological expertise and compelling portfolio of delivered enterprise projects.
Intellias developed the solution
Our collaboration agreement envisaged outsourcing the entire development process to our Intellias team, with SEP passing along their vision, ideas, technical guidance, and specifications. We started by developing data backup and recovery modules for popular Microsoft products including Windows, Small Business Server, Active Directory, SharePoint, and Exchange Server.
The success of these solutions helped kickstart the next phase of the project, which involved developing new modules to support Linux distributions, UNIX derivatives, databases, and virtualization software. This required our Intellias team to grow in order to meet increased production expectations and demand for extended technical expertise.
Intellias also developed solutions for data deduplication and archiving. Running simultaneously with backup processes and handling variable block sizes, our data deduplication solution efficiently saves backup storage capacity. Plus, the all-in-one archiving solution we developed prevents accidental data loss or deletion.
Currently, we’re working on backup and recovery components that target popular cloud platforms and Linux hypervisors.
Intellias helped SEP provide their customers with:
- Support for a wide range of operating systems including Windows, Linux, UNIX, and macOS
- Agentless solutions for virtual environments including VMware, RHV, and MS Hyper-V
- Simple integration with Amazon cloud services
- Complete and point-in-time database recovery options
- Disaster recovery for Windows and Linux
- Data replication to maximize use of available infrastructure
- Mail backup and recovery options
- Comprehensive cluster support with node failover
- Unparalleled backup speed due to unlimited simultaneous streams
We achieved great results together
SEP’s collaboration with Intellias, which is celebrating its tenth anniversary this year, has translated into extended production capabilities and improved technical competence that has enabled SEP to:
- Enhance their product offerings by supporting top operating systems, hypervisors, and databases
- Enter the US market with the most comprehensive multiplatform data backup and recovery suite
- Diversify their portfolio of big-time customers to include international banks, retailers, universities, governments, and energy companies
- Win small business customers by offering enhanced support for Microsoft SBS-based environments
- Expand their business with strategic alliance partners