About the client
Our client is one of Germany’s largest automotive corporations, producing a wide spectrum of motor vehicles ranging from motorcycles, luxury sedans, SUVs, and sports cars to cargo vans, buses, and heavy-duty trucks. Represented in the top 20 global car manufacturers ranking, our client’s annual production output reaches several million vehicles, generating the company billions of euros in profits. Our client has manufacturing facilities across five continents, employing almost a quarter million people. As an innovator in automotive engineering, they focus on researching and implementing cutting-edge technologies in their vehicles to provide for a safer, cleaner, and more connected driving future. Owning a vast brand portfolio thanks to acquisitions and expansion, the company boasts millions of loyal fans worldwide who cherish the marque’s unique driving experience, premium quality, and world-renowned brand.
Our client came with the challenge
The proliferation of IoT technologies in the passenger car segment has revolutionized driving in terms of safety, comfort, entertainment, and navigation. Our client decided to push further, however, and be one of the first to explore the potential of IoT in the light commercial vehicles segment. They had a vision for a new, fully connected, integral solution linking vehicles and fleet managers by means of vehicle-to-cloud communication. This solution proposed great benefits for courier delivery services, automotive/car leasing companies, logistics teams, and other commercial and government organizations operating vehicle fleets.
To realize their idea, our client signed a partnership agreement with a German software development company. But after about a year of active development, it became clear that the project timetable wouldn’t be met due to major gaps in the frontend part. That’s when they contacted Intellias to quickly scale up their development capacity and bring IoT to the fleet management industry.
Intellias is developing a solution for fleet management
Intellias has become part of a distributed team, developing a solution in partnership with an innovative German software development company. This partner company offers ideas and develops customer-specific solutions within a wide range of industries. Between Intellias and our German partner, four sub-teams are engaged in the production process.
The first team (our German partner’s) is designing the hardware that’s installed in a vehicle and connected to its CAN bus to collect information from various electronic control units. This team also works on the interface that provides two-way communication between the vehicle and the cloud via cellular networks.
The second team, also with our German partner, is implementing the backend, which is written in .NET and hosted on Microsoft Azure. The backend solution is a modular application responsible for telemetry aggregation and managing data transfers between the cloud server and fleet vehicles. It also features an API that exposes telemetry and processed data for the frontend.
The third and fourth teams are housed at Intellias and cover the frontend part of the fleet management solution for automotive, which is written in AngularJS and provides UI/UX design of dashboards for data visualization. These Intellias teams are implementing mechanisms that allow fleet managers to
- display real-time maps, POI search results, and precise geolocations;
- specify geofencing areas on maps to control fleet movement;
- assign drivers to vehicles based on comprehensive profiling;
- track a vehicle’s current position;
- dynamically optimize routes and working hours;
- control a vehicle remotely, for example start the engine or turn on the autonomous heater;
- obtain and display immediate notifications from the vehicle about an opened door, vehicle movement, geofencing zone violations, and more.
We’re achieving great results together
Our collaboration is currently moving into an active development phase. Intellias team has received all the necessary knowledge from our partner’s team as well as full access to our client’s software development environments. We’ve brought on board senior and lead engineering talent to address our client’s challenging development needs. The initial viable version of the frontend is scheduled to be brought to market in mid-2018.
Here are the benefits that businesses get with our client’s solution:
- Cost efficiency through optimized fuel consumption and planning of preventive maintenance schedules and checklists
- Increased productivity by controlling routes, processes, delivery times, expenses, and more
- Fraud prevention thanks to geofencing, actual mileage tracking, and fuel tank level control
- Safety due to an integrated accelerometer that detects dangerous driving and accidents
- Legal compliance through monitoring of compliance with driving and rest time regulations
- Ecological awareness and reduced CO2 emissions by managing driving style