About the client
Geo Data delivers consulting services and software solutions to implement telecommunication, fiber, and broadband internet networks for businesses, communities, and municipalities of any size. Their all-in-one software suite contains web and desktop tools for planning fiber-optic networks and managing fiber to the x (FTTX) projects. Geo Data has completed successful network infrastructure projects across Germany, Luxembourg, and Switzerland.
Our client came with the challenge
Geo Data had a solid vision for a software suite that would streamline the planning, design, and management of FTTX projects. The suite would also eliminate inefficient paperwork and improve our client’s network infrastructure business by automating and optimizing network projects, making them more accurate and cost-efficient.
Combining the knowledge and experience of their geodesists, network engineers, and entrepreneurs, Geo Data started building their solution in-house. But they lacked expertise in .NET technologies and had little experience setting up large-scale software development life cycle processes. It became clear that they needed a professional outsourcing partner.
With years of experience delivering enterprise software, fttx network design services, and with a pool of senior .NET developers and leads, Intellias was a good match and became Geo Data’s strategic partner.
Intellias developed the solution for network planning
Working closely with our client’s team, we identified primary use cases and decided on the core technology stack, architecture prototype improvements, and major product functionality for optical network design and implementation.
With that done, our foremost task was to establish a comprehensive development process for our distributed team involving Agile and XP practices. As a result, every process – from design and implementation to quality assurance and deployment – has a clear scope, flow, timeline, and ready-and-running toolset.
What followed was an active development phase that focused on NetEnterprise – a desktop solution for delivering optimal FTTX designs at unmatched speed and scale. Our Intellias engineers developed a mathematical engine powered by a heuristic algorithm of big-size graphs clusterization and ArcGIS, Esri’s advanced cloud-based mapping platform. This engine lies at the core of graphical network planning and our client’s comprehensive analytical suite. These technologies allowed us to automatically create map-based network architectures, generate schematic presentations for existing plans, select optimal network hardware, and estimate project costs.
We achieved great results together
Seven years of partnership has left a noticeable mark on the evolution of both Intellias and Geo Data. Intellias has had the benefit of working on a long-term project in the telecom networking domain. Geo Data has extended their software production facilities by means of a reliable nearshore technology outsourcing provider with specialization in FTTX network planning and design. As a result of this collaboration, both companies have strengthened core .NET expertise, increased their level of service, diversified product offerings, and boosted competitiveness in target markets.
Geo Data offers the following benefits to customers:
- Extensive automation of FTTX network design with a low error rate
- Network design optimization thanks to estimation of regional development costs
- Quick overview of network structure through a schematic or geo-scheme network plan
- Automatic generation of optimized cable and duct routes
- Fiber-level design capabilities with automatic generation of splice lists for individual elements or all elements of distribution sites
- Proprietary technology with driving dynamic efficiency regarding all functions based on topology
- Multi-criteria analysis functionality based on a detailed view of network components, including ducts and cable lengths
- Library of configurable reusable components supporting import from external sources
- Complete network project management portal for monitoring project status, timelines, relevant work orders, expenses, and more