About our client
Our client is a Fortune 500 company in the consumer goods industry that manages 15 international brands in 180 markets worldwide. The company is striving for a healthier future by creating a next-generation smart connected device to replace the traditional way of consuming its products. Our client has a customer base of over 150 million, 3.7 million of whom are already switching from the traditional way of consuming products to consuming them with a comprehensive electronic device.
Our client came with the challenge
Our client’s initial idea was realized as a smart connected device that could record usage statistics and upload them to the cloud but required regular firmware updates. The first version of the device supported uploading of statistics via USB and required often plugin efforts from users, so this feature was rarely used by customers, almost excluding any connectivity. Moreover, firmware updates required the installation of special software for phones and PCs, which wasn’t user-friendly. The most challenging step was customizing software for an already constructed device in order to adapt it to users’ preferences of doing everything on the go.
Based on the above problems with lack of consumer-centric user experience, our client decided to simplify device connectivity and make the device more user-friendly in order to increase both profitability and customer satisfaction. They started looking for a partner with experience engineering smart and energy-efficient connectivity solutions with the goal of redefining consumption patterns and offering comprehensive statistics on device usage to help improve tailored services.
Intellias developed the solution
Intellias came up with the idea to connect our client’s device to smartphones and computers via Bluetooth. This was the most convenient way to implement the required functionality because of the minimal power required for Bluetooth connectivity. This solution provides customers with extra connectivity without having to plug the device in every time they want to update or sync. To provide an even better UX, we decided to implement Bluetooth connectivity using the experimental Web Bluetooth API. This API is near the finish line of standardization and is available in most browsers.
During the collaboration, our client came up with the next phase of presenting a smart device to the market by developing a customer engagement platform that includes several online dashboards. These dashboards analyze data collected from connected devices. Our Intellias team collaborated with our client’s architects to develop this platform and integrate it with legacy systems.
We developed a customer engagement platform that met the following goals:
- Integrate an AWS-based system with on-premise solutions
- Enable the collection and processing of a huge volume of consumer data
- Simplify search and introduction of new customers
- Provide various touchpoints to customers such as online support, accessories, advice, and notifications
- Empower development of business apps related to the smart product
- Ensure a better user experience by adapting services to particular needs based on consumption patterns
- Offer near real-time data on selling, marketing, and consumption of devices right at the headquarters’ dashboards
- Avoid issues with IT infrastructure and app performance with secured and fault-tolerant AWS solutions
- Produce ready-to-market solutions based on continuous delivery and continuous integration thanks to cloud-based DevOps
We achieved great results together
The customer engagement platform with high-tech eCommerce features is already helping our client reach new markets. Intellias R&D engineers are continuing to provide our client with new proofs-of-concept to help them gradually transfer their entire digital product ecosystem from legacy solutions to a new architecture. To accomplish this, our engineers are working with our client’s architects to check the stability of changed blocks and the possibility of integrating them with legacy services. Once all the blocks are strong enough to rebuild the entire system, our client will be ready to shift to fully digital marketing for their connected devices.
Our client’s new product is ready to be launched right after the latest updates to major browsers are available to end users. After its introduction to a wider market, the solution is aimed to make a smart device not only the next big step in redefining the usual consumption behavior of customers, but also it would increase an eCommerce possibility for automated data collection of the Customer Engagement Platform. This possibility is critical for our client to further develop a new brand even with their more than one hundred years of successful heritage on the consumer goods market.
Our client’s device brings the following benefits to users:
- Easy and user-friendly firmware updates without installing software on a smartphone or PC
- Smart connectivity that requires only a visit to a single website for device pairing
- A new experience of the everyday routine with connectivity extended to goods consumption
- More requested features and a more advanced user experience thanks to tracking and measurement of usage
- Always up-to-date and all new services available right after they’re introduced